Welder at Newmont Mining Corporation || APPLY NOW
Newmont Mining Corporation
- Company:Newmont Mining Corporation
- Job type:Full-Time
Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To provide safe, environmentally compliant and cost-effective maintenance welding, line boring, machining and fabrication services.
- To contribute to optimum equipment availability and achievement of production objectives.
In This Role You Will:
Fabrication, Line Boring and Maintenance Welding
- Work from engineering drawings, sketches, other specifications as well as verbal instructions.
- Select appropriate welding equipment such as gas torches, portable electric arcs and semi-automatic and automatic machines and select appropriate electrode for material.
- Set up and adjust equipment and controls to regulate gas pressure, voltage or amperage.
- Work within strict quality standards and tolerance measures to support the function in terms of quality assurance.
- Repair and overhaul heavy mobile mining equipment both in field and workshop based using a portable line boring machine.
- Undertake welding repairs to facilitate line boring activities.
- Use measuring gear to precisely measure pins and bores.
- Set up and operate line boring equipment and radial drill press.
- Make and sharpen cutting tools.
- Conduct Non Destructive Testing (NDT) of haul truck beds, shovel buckets, track frames for internal cracks and prepare report for reliability engineer.
- Use drill press machine to drill and tap handling holes on die-sets and other hole forming operations.
- Supervise and train new employee’s on how to run weld machinery, line boring equipment and also drill and press machinery.
- Use workshop press to perform pressing activities safely (bushing installation and removal, straightening bent metal plates, etc.).
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Use SAP to raise and close work orders, entering time confirmations.
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs for the day and submit the report to the Supervisor.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own work schedule, coordinate with support services and assign short-term tasks to Mechanics / Electricians or the Supervisor as necessary.
- Complete all works as prescribed in the works order.
- Close all works orders on completion of tasks.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Accept personal responsibility for health and safety.
- Manage and apply safe systems of work without supervision and provide technical guidance when required.
- Ensure all safety paperwork is in place before performing any tasks.
- Perform housekeeping after completing the job.
- Attend safety meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Completion of trade certification, apprenticeship or another recognized welder training program.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advance knowledge of welding techniques and standards and related safety standards.
- Operate forklift/telehandler to load and transport tooling and other equipment’s for job set up.
- Holder of valid Ghanaian driver’s license CE.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in maintenance welding, machining and fabrication, repairing and maintaining industrial or mining equipment and auxiliaries.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances and use precision measuring tools.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment / parts.
- Ability to use Oxy / acetylene, 9’’ & 5” grinding machine, Arc welding machine set, thermal lance, welding shield and other specialized welding equipment.
- Ability to understand the procedure of installation.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings or blueprints.
- Safety conscious.
- Detail focused.
- Technically inclined.
- Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Team player.
- Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- work environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
Method of Application
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
FULLY FUNDED | | COMMONWEALTH DISTANCE LEARNING SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK 2021
GHANA SCHOLARSHIPS SECRETARIAT POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP 2021/2022 TO STUDY IN UK
NANYANG TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS 2022-2023: SUBMIT APPLICATION!
AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS 2021-2022 | FULLY FUNDED
JOINT JAPAN WORLD BANK SCHOLARSHIPS 2022 | FULLY FUNDED
Also, For More Updates, Click Here
To get daily Job & News Alerts on WhatsApp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.