VENTILATION ENGINEER AT NEWMONT MINING CORPORATION
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- The purpose of the role is to ensure that safe ventilated working conditions are met in compliance with Newmont and government minimum standards. Responsible for evaluation and monitoring in line with the ventilation strategy and the business plan.
IN THIS ROLE; YOU WILL:
Ventilation System Management
• Advise on ventilation requirements and solutions to meet the budget, 12-week forecasts and weekly plans
• Conduct underground air quality and quantity surveys and advise on solutions to address non-compliance
• Consulting on the sequence of underground work activities based on air limitations at any point in time.
• Responsible for primary ventilation monitoring and advise on limitations.
• Calculate and inform on the re-entry time into the underground mine after a blast for staff safety purposes.
• Maintain awareness on any activities or events that will compromise the ventilation system.
• Advise on modified work conditions based on ventilation limitations.
• Evaluate and propose optimum ventilation engineering solutions for problematic situations (based on accumulated data/information) which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
Reporting and Compliance
• Prepare departmental ventilation reports timely and accurately to meet departmental requirements, policies and quality standards.
• Statutory reporting and simulation of the underground environmental conditions.
• Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
• Stay abreast with new technology in specialist field.
Health and Safety
• Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
• Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
• Conduct daily meetings to discuss Health and Safety threats.
• Write various safety standards, as required.
• Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering.
• Reasonable understanding of Underground Mining Systems and Operations.
• Preferred a minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
• Advanced administrative skills.
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Competent in the use of mine planning software,
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Software.
• Safety Conscious.
• Results Driven.
• Attention to Detail.
• Work Under Pressure.
- Incumbent is exposed external elements (weather, environment).
• Certain tasks are undertaken after work and on some weekends.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Closing Date : 26 May. 2021
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE