Below are the categories of the UK’s Immigration Rules that apply to most individuals wishing to study in the UK. Note that there are additional immigration permissions for studying in the UK that are not covered here. If you plan to study certain subjects at the postgraduate level, you may need to apply for an ATAS certificate.

The Home Office updates and amends the Immigration Rules and Guidance regularly. Please refer to the Home Office website to stay updated on changes to UK immigration law and guidance.

Student route for UK Immigration Rules

The Student route is for students planning to study for more than 6 months in the UK, including rules for Student Dependents. The University of Essex is a Student Sponsor with a compliant track record. Here are some useful links:

Home Office guidance for EEA/Swiss nationals regarding the UK’s points-based immigration system.

Guidance for sponsors

Visitor route for UK Immigration Rules

The Standard Visitor route allows some study of up to 6 months duration. Relevant links include:

Visa National list

ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme)

Some Essex PhD students require ATAS clearance from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office before studying. Nationals from certain countries are exempt from ATAS.

Visa and Immigration Guidance for Home Office Staff

UK Government COVID-19 Concessions and Guidance

Guidance for Student sponsors, migrants, and short-term students about temporary concessions. These should be read alongside the Immigration Rules and Guidance. Read the UKCISA guidance for further information about COVID-19 immigration concessions.