Head – Access to Finance
- Company: Mastercard Foundation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services and dignified work.
Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment.
Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are a leader and experienced expert in the financial services sector who is ready to build something new and increase your impact, read on! The Head, Access to Finance role comes at an exciting time of growth for the Foundation as we implement Young Africa Works.
A cohesive and inclusive access to financial services framework is required to achieve the Foundation’s goal of improved welfare, resilience, and meaningful work opportunities for vulnerable youth, especially women. We have identified three critical areas where the foundation can make a difference:
- Safeguarding food security and livelihoods while enhancing resilience, especially among the most vulnerable in society, through holistic interventions, both financial and non-financial.
- Addressing significant gaps in access to financial services for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Catalyzing growth of high potential MSMEs, through risk tolerant and patient capital as well as enhanced business management capability and access to market.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Head, Access to Finance will work in close collaboration with the Regional Directors and Country Heads, the wider Program Team as well as the Impact and Research Teams.
S/he will undertake the following responsibilities:
Program Strategy and Alignment with Young Africa Works
- Developing an overarching Access to finance strategy to create continuity and coherence in the understanding of advancing financial inclusion for Young Africa Works and other foundation Programs.
- Maintaining alignment with relevant contexts and perspectives in financial inclusion in Africa, reviewing and updating the Access to finance strategy as necessary with new knowledge and insights.
- Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams in the articulation of their access to finance strategy linked to the Young Africa Works strategy.
Portfolio Design Support
- Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams in the development and design of their Access to finance programs and portfolio.
- Incorporating research-based insights in financial inclusion into programs design and ensuring continuous learning by assessing the performance and impact of programs and projects, supporting knowledge creation and dissemination.
- Facilitating co-design workshops and supporting Programs teams with technical expertise in financial inclusion.
- Leading and facilitating Access to finance programs integration and innovation across the Foundation, supporting teams in adopting and leveraging best practice.
- Piloting new programming ideas and collaboration models in financial inclusion.
Head – Access to Finance
Regional Programs Design and Implementation
- Leading the design and implementation of regional programs with potential to drive impact at scale in financial inclusion.
- Leading the implement of an Impact Investment program.
Learning and Capability enhancement in Financial inclusion
- Supporting Country, Regional and Scholars teams to regularly collect and collate learnings from implementation of programs to advance financial inclusion. Facilitating financial inclusion learning sessions with Programs teams and partners.
- Synthesizing, socializing, and integrating learning from across country programming in collaboration with Research and Impact teams.
- Ensuring that teams have access to leading technical expertise in financial inclusion. Building communities of practice internally and externally.
- Establishing and managing effective relationships with key stakeholders and networks in the public, private, and non-profit sector promoting financial inclusion on the continent.
- Building and maintaining effective business partnerships with other teams within the Foundation.
- Building and leading a team with deep expertise in Financial inclusion and supporting their performance through capability building and coaching.
- Animating a “community of practice” to support building capacity in financial inclusion across the Foundation program teams.
WHO YOU ARE
- You hold a Masters/MBA in a relevant field and have at least 15 years of experience, at least 5 in in senior management working in Africa for a global or regional organization in international development and/or commercial banking, microfinance, or private equity. Experience across sectors is preferred.
- Excellent strategic planning skills with the ability to merge technical and operational demands of the regional and country programs into a cohesive structure.
- Proven ability to think in a strategic, transformative way, able to co-design initiatives/processes that will drive large-scale change.
- Proven experience in effectively engaging with technical experts to build communities of practice. Ability to effectively develop and manage mutually beneficial relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels, garnering enthusiasm, and energy around Young Africa Works.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing high performing teams with proven success.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and relate to a broad range of internal stakeholders, including other senior team members, staff, and board members.
- Client service mindset, always seeking ways to create impact for program teams. Commitment to the value of co-creation, employing deep listening and authentically inclusive approach.
- Energetic, independent, and self-motivated individual with a solution-based approach while demonstrating innovation, integrity, creativity, flexibility, and resilience.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial individual who can develop new or creative approaches to problems while inspiring others on the team. Drive to continually experiment and innovate, building and leveraging best-in-class expertise and learnings.
- Ability to travel across Africa and internationally (30-40%).
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with diverse cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- You have a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
- French language and/or local language skills are an asset.
Method of Application
DEADLINE : 24 May. 2021
WhatsApp & Telegram Job Alert
To get daily Job Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE