Ghana Power Stations, Location & Their Capacities
Electricity generation is one of the key factors to achieve development in any economy. Ghana generates electric power from three major sources including hydropower, fossil fuel (thermal energy), and renewable energy.
Ghana currently has over 5,134 MW of installed generation capacity, with a dependable capacity of 4,710 MW. In Ghana, thermal generation accounts for the largest share of power generation 66 per cent with hydro accounting for 33 per cent.
Electricity transmission in Ghana is under the operations of the Ghana Grid Company while distribution is under the Northern Electricity Distribution Company and Electricity Company of Ghana.
List of Power Stations in Ghana, Location & their Capacities
Below is the list of power stations in Ghana.
Thermal Power Stations
There are five thermal power stations in Ghana.
1. Takoradi Thermal Power Station
The power station is located at Aboadze, 17 kilometres east of Sekondi-Takoradi. It is consist of three power plants and first became operational in 1997.
The Takoradi thermal power station is a combined cycle power plant with an installed capacity of 330 MW combined with 110 MW GE Frame 9E combustion gas turbines, and a 110 MW steam turbine generator. The plant is fueled primarily by light crude oil.
The second plant has a capacity of 220 MW, with a future expansion of up to 330 MW while the third plant will be a 132 MW combined cycle power plant.
2. Kpone Thermal Power Station II
The Kpone Independent Thermal Power Station is a 340 MW multi-fuel-fired thermal power station. The power station is located in the Kpone neighbourhood of the port city of Tema.
3. Kpone Thermal Power Station I
The Kpone Thermal Power Station has a capacity of 230 MW and it is a gas-fired thermal power station.
4. Tema Thermal Power Station
Located in the Industrial Area neighbourhood of the port of Tema, the thermal power station has a capacity of 236 MW.
5. Sunon Asogli Thermal Power Station
The power station has a capacity of 560 MW and it is a natural gas-fired thermal power station. Located in the Kpone neighbourhood of the port city of Tema. The power plant is the first privately-owned electricity generation installation in Ghana.
Hydroelectric Power Stations
There are three hydroelectric power stations in Ghana.
1. Akosombo Hydroelectric Power Station
Located in Volta Dam, the hydroelectric power station had an original electrical output of 912 MW which was upgraded to 1,020 MW. The dam also provides electricity to Togo and Benin.
2. Bui Hydroelectric Power Station
Built on the Black Volta river, the Bui hydroelectric power station has an output of 400 MW.
3. Kpong Hydroelectric Power Station
Located on the lower Volta River, the Kpong hydroelectric power station has a capacity of 148 MW with four units running.
Solar Power Stations
There are three solar power stations in Ghana.
1. Nzema Solar Power Station
Located in Awiaso Village, Ellembelle District, in the Western Region, the Nzema solar power station has a capacity of 155 MW.
2. BXC Solar Power Station
Located in the settlement of Gomoa Onyandze, in Gomoa West District, in the Central Region of Ghana, the BXC solar power station has an installed maximum generation capacity of 20 MW.
3. Gomoa Onyaadze Solar Power Station
The Gomoa Onyaadze solar power station is a privately owned power station that sells its power to Power Distribution Services Ghana. Located in Gomoa West District, in the Central region of Ghana, the power station has a generation capacity of 20 MW.
4. Navrongo Solar Power Station
Finally, the Navrongo solar power station is located near the town of Navrongo, Kassena-Nankana District in the Upper East Region of Ghana. It has a generation capacity of 2.5 MW.
- GES NON TEACHING STAFF RECRUITMENT
- MOH ONLINE RECRUITMENT PORTAL 2022 — HR.MOH.GOV.GH
- Electrical Technician at Nestlé
- ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE / PROFESSIONAL VACANCIESSUBMIT CVS – LATEST RECRUITMENT AT TEMA OIL TERMINAL
- Schlumberger Ghana Recruitment 2022
- YOUTHFUL APPLICANTS TO GET 10,000 CEDIS OR MORE UNDER GOVERNMENT’S NEIP
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT POSTINGS 3RD BATCH
- PRINT GHANA POLICE TRAINING CHIT – SECOND BATCH
- British Army Recruitment 2021/2022 Form Portal | www.apply.army.mod.uk
- FIRE SERVICE UPDATE ON THE ONGOING MEDICAL EXAMINATION
- Latest Employment Opportunity at Bolt
- NURSING TRAINING FORMS 2022 / 2023
- ANGLOGOLD GHANA NOVEMBER RECRUITMENT 2021
- ANGLOGOLD GHANA NOVEMBER RECRUITMENT 2021
- Job Vacancy: University of Ghana
- Job Vacancy || Successor World Limited
- Regional Head of Enterprise Development at CAMFED
To get daily Job & News Alerts & News on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.