Environment Officer at Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the SP 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To coordinate all environmental aspects relating to environmental monitoring, to ensure all related environmental policies, procedures and standards, Ghanaian laws and regulations as well as Newmont Environmental Standards are complied with at all times.
- Actively demonstrate the Newmont values of safety, integrity, sustainability, inclusion and responsibility at all times.
In This Role You Will
General Environmental Monitoring
- Develop and implement water and non-water monitoring programs to satisfy and environmental standards required by Newmont and regulatory authorities.
- Conduct environmental monitoring activities for air, water, noise, blast / vibration and meteorology.
- Analyse data and report non-compliances to the Environment Superintendent for immediate investigation.
- Verify that the quality control procedures of the monitoring program are implemented.
- Assess ongoing monitoring requirements and propose adjustments or amendments to such.
Environmental Inspections and Audits
- Conduct job hazard analyses of activities, and ascertain whether to continue with the activity or to terminate it.
- Assist in the site visits of the Environmental Protection Agency, Mineral Commission, Water Resources Commission and / or other (regulatory) agency officials for conducting environmental inspections and audits, as well as third party auditors.
- Manage the activities of the on-site environmental laboratory.
- Provide verification that all samples are received and either analysed or dispatched to the external laboratory.
- Assist the project team in baseline monitoring and related studies tied to collected data.
Environmental Stakeholder Engagement
- Provide environmental input for company meetings, review and reports.
- Address and coordinate emerging environmental issues through engaging in meetings and other forums.
- Contribution to Newmont’s Zero Harm goal of Newmont with focus on quality safety interactions, inspections, audits, risk assessments impact mitigation and control systems.
Your Training, Skills Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or related fields.
- Knowledge of Ghanaian Environmental Regulations as they apply to mining.
- Health, Safety Environment (HSE) Officer Competency in Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation (LI2182).
- Thorough understanding of Environment Management Systems.
- Minimum of 3 years’ environmental management experience working in the mining or related industrial operations environments.
- Experienced working with ISO4001 or similar Environmental Management Systems.
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds).
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Strong assessment skills.
- Strong auditing skills (environmental auditing).
- Sound change management skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Results driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Display initiative.
- Goal orientated.
- Ability to multitask.
- Continuous learning.
- Position is located at the Akyem mine.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 18th December, 2022
Also, For More Updates, Click Here
To get daily Job & News Alerts on WhatsApp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.